Peter Mathews’ new book, Dollar Democracy: with Liberty and Justice for Some; How to Reclaim the American Dream for All, is about the corrupting influence of private money in politics that has caused a disappearing middle class, environmental destruction, the dismantling of the public education system, the endangering of our food and water supply, a lack of health care, and waste, fraud and abuse in the Military-Industrial Complex. Dollar Democracy also provides real solutions to the major crises in America and the world. Writing from Sorrento, Florida on October 7, 2015 Communications Coordinator for Bernie Sanders for President 2016, Don Mersel said, “Bernie Sanders wants you to read Peter Mathews’ brilliant book Dollar Democracy…. Peter Mathews wrote an extremely compelling book that helps us understand the philosophy of Bernie Sanders.”
Peter Mathews has spent 30 years as a College and University Professor. Peter Mathews is a full-time Professor of Political Science at Cypress College, an adjunct Professor of Sociology at Long Beach City College, has taught at California State University, Fullerton, and is currently a featured Political Analyst and Commentator on several television and radio programs During 2012 and 2013, Peter Mathews served as a Political Analyst on KTLK Progressive Talk Radio’s popular “The David Cruz Show” in Los Angeles. Peter has served as a Political Analyst on KNBC-TV, KCBS-TV, KTLA-TV, Sky News TV, Al Jazeera English TV, TRT World News TV, CNN radio, KPFA radio and guest host on KPFK radio, guest on NPR stations, and as a commentator on KNX News Radio and other venues. On several occasion during 2014, Peter Mathews was a guest host on Pacifica Radio’s KPFK 90.7 FM with the theme of “Standing up for Economic and Social Justice.” He was a contributing columnist for the Long Beach Register and on-line Orange County Register, and other publications. He has been a guest op-ed writer in the Long Beach Press Telegram. Having lived, traveled, taught and conducted research in 27 countries including Britain, France, Denmark, Germany, Canada, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, India, and elsewhere, Peter Mathews has gained first-hand knowledge of public policy issues such as healthcare, education, economic development, international relations, and environmental sustainability in these and other societies.
Peter Mathews was the founder of Rescue Education California, a grassroots community empowerment organization that was actively involved in the fight for Educational Justice: smaller class sizes, updated textbooks and technology for K-12, and lower college tuition and student debt.
Peter Mathews was the Democratic Party Nominee for the U.S. Congress in 1998 and ran a close race in the Long Beach, California based district, while running a grassroots, people powered campaign, refusing corporate donations.
Peter Mathews moved to Los Angeles County in 1979 and has been a resident and homeowner in Long Beach for 25 years, where he lives with his wife Toya Baker-Mathews and daughter Page.
- Three term Chair of Department of Political Science at Cypress College; Professor of American Government and International Relations, Contemporary Political Issues, Comparative Government, Political Theory, and Urban Politics.
- Television and Radio Political Analyst on subjects of Local, State, National, and International Issues for KNBC-TV, KCBS-TV, KTLA-TV, CNN radio, KNX, KTLK, KPFK radio and various other television and radio stations. He has analyzed issues such as, “The 2012 Presidential Election”, “The California State Budget Crisis”, “President Bush’s State of the Union Address”, “The High Cost of War in Iraq”, “The North Korea Crisis”, and “The Impact of Congress’ policies on California”. These and other interviews can be viewed at www.youtube.com/petermathews11. Audio interviews are at www.youtube.com/epetermathews. He is currently a featured Political Analyst and Contributing Partner on the “Head-On” radio show on KEIB AM 1150 in Los Angeles, California.
- Member of the California Teachers Association, Screen Actors Guild, and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists.
- Member of the American Political Science Association
- Bachelors Degree in Political Science and Bachelors Degree in Psychology.
- Masters Degree in Political Science from the University of North Texas.
- Doctoral Studies at the University of Southern California
- Recipient of Cypress College Faculty Development Award 2003
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Award for “…Continued Efforts as a Media Personality Bringing Peace, Justice, and Unity to Our Community”, presented by So.California Region Ministerial Alliance, January 11, 2004
- The Faculty Development Award of Cypress College for Community Development Work Beyond the Classroom, Spring 2005
- The Cypress College Charger Award for Community Involvement and Action 2015
- Semester Abroad Professor of Cypress College at Cambridge, England, Spring 1990